Unstable connect to Minecraft server

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a common problem… I haven’t been able to figure out a solution myself as of yet.

So, my server is sat up and works fine… sometimes… then after a while my external player won’t be able to connect to the server anymore and it appears for them as if the server were down. I tried getting them to use the raw IP to my server instead of the friendly address, which seems to have remedied some of the problems (or maybe it was just luck), but it has just happened again.

What could this be? I have a hard time seeing how it would be a DNS problem since the players are also experiencing the problems with the raw IP, but I’m no expert in the area…

I’ve had mixed success with restarting the playit.gg tunneling service but again, my gut says it was probably just luck.

Many of the times where the external player couldn’t see the server, I could see it working through the IP/address.

I hope there is a fairly easy solution to this, because other than this quite irritating problem, playit.gg is by far the best solution I’ve found for this kind of thing :slight_smile:

I think the creator just doesn’t care about that issue at all, its been running for month now and nobody make a patch.

It’s likely due to a poor connections between you and our tunnel servers. It could be you’re getting routed to a tunnel server far away.

I’ve been putting in a ton of work these past few weeks adding IPv6 support. This combined with our new IPv4 network we should be able to improve routing so you get connected to a closer server.

Hi, I had forgotten to update on this thread. I found out what was wrong.

On a Minecraft server, it seems whatever you set the render-distance value to is what the server attempts to send out to all clients regardless of how high their render distance is set on their client.

I, not knowing this, had set the value to its maximum, 32 chunks, since it is only a few people ever playing on the server at once. This seems to have ended up being way too much to send, in any case through such a tunnel.

Since I changed the setting back to its default of 12 everything has been completely fine.

1 Like