How do I host an ARK Survival Evolved server with playit.gg?

I am trying to host an ARK server with playit.gg but it isn’t working. I used the program to successfully host a Minecraft server with a custom port as a test but now when I try to use that custom port for my ARK server it won’t show up on steam server lists, the in-game server list, or even allow me to connect to it directly. I don’t know if this is because I don’t have the steam query port open, which is I think 27015, but I don’t know how to open two separate port ranges. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

2 Likes

I’ve tried hosting ark behind both rathole and now playit.gg with no luck.

I think the problem is we’re hosting the game from our home IP address. the game phones home to say “here’s my public ip” plz list it. The game server tries to reach the game behind that IP address but it can’t. I’m not sure how playitgg is meant to get around this for other games.

Anyway the way I got around it was to setup an external VM which does have a public IP address. (The cheapest one with only 0.5GB ram is plenty). Then set the VM to forward packets like a NAT. use ZeroTier to link your local PC to the VM. Then set the default gateway of your local PC to the VM ZT IP. Then DNAT the port forwards from the VM to your local PC. Anyway once it’s all up and running both your outbound and inbound traffic will pass through the VM with the same public IP address. problem solved.